Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"Winter Light Boom Site"
16x20 oil on primed panel
This is a studio piece I finished last week done from a study I did on location. The light on this particular winter day was very magenta and fresh.
This is not the first time I've painted these trees. Each time in different light and different conditions. Isn't it interesting how 'a place' can draw an artist in again and again. Like the more you learn about it, the more you want to know? And, it keeps you coming back for more, and each time I'm surprised at the newness it offers. I paint these trees because I love their unique character and I love the place they are in. These trees have been through a lot during their time here. Not to mention the obvious ever changing weather elements they endure in Minnesota, but the rising and falling of the water levels living directly in the middle of the St Croix River. What great strength and dignity these trees have, and what graceful gestures in their reaching for the light!

1 comment:

Ben Bauer said...

look at those colors! They are leaving us soon, lots of melting happening today I noticed was out in the old haunts of Menomonie today painting and seeing an old teacher, photos too - my type of day cold grey and hazy and damp.

B