Sunday, February 7, 2010

"Old Withrow Train Depot"
11x14 oil on linen panel
This is my latest piece just finished today. It's of the old Withrow Train Depot that was sadly torn down over 20 years ago now. It's really too bad they didn't save it, I know many tried. My Dad has nostalgic memories of this depot from when he was a kid. He's been asking me for years now to paint it for him and I finally decided not to wait any longer. It is his birthday today, so in a way, it was my deadline in my head and a surprise for him. I still need to put some lettering in on the sign but besides that it's finished. I worked from a terrible old photo with these two cars in front of it but it didn't give me much to work with. I remember the depot from when I was a kid and know the site well so went with the little memory that I had left to make this painting. It was somewhat challenging because I knew that he had this vision of how it looked in his head. After getting the drawing in, it became easy to get 'into' the painting. I had fun painting the truck in front, first time for me!
So, there you have it! Now, to finish my large landscape I put on hold the past couple of days. I should have that posted soon.

5 comments:

Marc R. Hanson said...

:-) Warms my heart. Good job and a Happy Birthday to your Dad. Such a great thing to do for him. He's a lucky Dad.

Kami Mendlik said...

Thanks Marc! Feels good to have this painting finished. I hate to put things like this off for toooo long. Kind of brought me down memory lane, old coke bottles with my Grandpa and all!

Judy P. said...

This is a vivid painting, and I can feel the nostalgia in it; I'll bet your Dad will love it.

Kami Mendlik said...

Thanks Judy! He was speachless. :)

Ian T said...

Very nice - good photo here too (http://community.fortunecity.ws/oasis/paris/612/withrow.jpg)