Sunday, August 1, 2010

Door County Plein Air 2010

"Queen Anne's Lace"
11x14 oil on linen
We painted this painting on the first day in the rain, a soft warm rain. The rain is great for rich saturated colors. And one of my favorites at this time of year, the Queen Anne's Lace. I was in heaven!
"Door County Prairie Fields"
11x14 oil on linen
more Queen Anne's lace along with some black eyed susans and other wild flowers, I was REALLY in heaven!
"Cave Point"
11x14 oil on linen
this was a piece I did before the festival started so I didn't get to use it in the show, also the piece I showed in progress in an earlier post
"View From Bailey's Harbor"
11x14 oil on linen
We painted as a demo day in Bailey's Harbor. It was hot! There was a great little fish market/restaurant there with this amazing garden and the view of the lake. I had started out this painting with a table umbrella in front of the tree and ended up taking it out, glad for the suggestion! ;)
"Moonlight Bay"
8x10 oil on linen
LOVED painting here! It was the end of the day and just starting to rain, a nice quiet spot after being around people so much. Beautiful and serene. There was a local Dad there and his daughter fishing after doing chores on their farm. I remembered going to the lake on summer nights after barn chores.
"Purple Symphony"
8x10 oil on linen
This is my Quick Draw piece from Saturday! We had 2 hours from start to finish to paint a painting and then we had 30 minutes to tear down our easel, frame the painting, and get it set up on our easel down at the park for collectors and spectators to see the work before the live auction started. The auction got rained out so they ended up holding it in the town hall. A good move! The auction was a great success and every one of the 40 paintings done by the featured artists sold! Good for the school, good for the artists! Good for collectors!
"Summer Fields"
11x14 oil on linen
I can't help but love the way this painting makes me feel. I think it's the color combinations. It feels like breath and peacefulness to me.
"The Chef's Hat"
10x8 oil on linen
Love to eat at the Chef's Hat in Ephraim and am so inspired by the colors of their umbrellas and warmth of the sun. I painted this same place last year but in a horizontal format. Kind of a fun painting.

5 comments:

Stacy said...

Beautiful paintings!

Kami Mendlik said...

Thanks Stacyo!

Christopher O'Handley said...

Excellent set of work! Makes me want to be there painting one of these years...

Kami Mendlik said...

Thanks Christopher! You HAVE to got paint there, it's such an inspiring place! I just posted the rest of my Door County paintings on my web site. Happy Painting to you!

Aruna Sarode said...

All the paintings are wonderful. "The Chef's hat" is my favorite.