Thursday, April 21, 2011

Harmony Side by Side!

"In The Meadow"
24x24 oil on linen
"A Walk In The Queen Anne's Lace"
24x24 oil on linen

It all started with a few little panels, some paint, and an idea which led me to paint these 2 @ 24x24s, that as I see it belong together, side by side!
 Sometimes I seriously wonder, 'where do paintings come from?'  It really is a mystery, a beautiful one, but a mystery just the same.  I think that's what I especially love about the landscape, it's the little bit of unknown and all the beautiful layers of depth and subtlety that are provided for us.  I recently read a quote that said something like this . . .  "don't be humble, you're not that great".  Kind of makes me laugh at the truth of that statement but I can't think of a better word for the way I feel standing in Nature than 'humbled' each and EVERY SINGLE time! It's kind of like being a "Mom":) 
  The two paintings above are my take on all the feelings that I have in response to Nature at this point.  
They are my quiet take on the peacefulness I feel and respect I have of the Natural world.  

4 comments:

loriann signori said...

Each one is stunning! Together...wow!

Marc R. Hanson said...

Both subtle and harmonious Kami, lovely! The best work I've seen you do with the integration of the field and flowers, not to mention the mood of both pieces. Congrats!

Kami Mendlik said...

thank you Loriann and Marc. I appreciate your comments! Happy Painting!

steveryno said...

I'm so glad I got to see these paintings in person, Kami! Your musings about where paintings come from intrigues me; it's something I've wondered about my writing as well. You may not know that Queen Anne's Lace, which is in these paintings, is a medicinal plant in some cultures and that it has also been used as a companion plant for crops because it can attract beneficial insects. Of course, in the U.S. the Department of Agriculture considers it a noxious weed--but what do they know? :-)