Wednesday, November 11, 2009

November on The St. Croix

"November on The St Croix"
11x14 Oil On Linen Panel
I just got in from painting on the river. What a great November day! I started out today thinking I would paint the old street alley's in Stillwater, after driving around for a half an hour with my coffee, I finally decided I needed some nature today and no people. Turns out it's just what I needed. Besides an occasional Bald Eagle soaring by, I was alone with the river and now completely rejuvenated! The colors were incredibly rich today, what a treat!
I will still photograph this piece for better viewing but I thought it was kind of interesting to show it fresh on the box with the river behind!

5 comments:

Marc R. Hanson said...

Awesome!!! :-)

Christopher O'Handley said...

I found your blog through Marc Hanson's blog, have looked at it a few times, and just wanted to say that you're doing some nice work! The trees are particularly well painted here - both the trunks/branches and the "wispy" masses of smaller twigs. The background color poking through is very nice - good job with a tough (for me) subject.

Also, when I scrolled back a few pages, the series of paintings you did at the Door festival really stood out..especially that hay bale painting, it's a beauty.

Kami Mendlik said...

Thanks Marc! it was a good day painting!

Kami Mendlik said...

Thanks Christopher for your comment and kind words. It's really nice to hear. :) I'm kind of in love with this time of year here. Green is nice but there's such a quiet beauty to be had right now, very subtle.

The Door County paintings, that was a fun, challenging week! Very warm colors there on the water. :)

I take it you are a painter? Do you have a site, if so?

Christopher O'Handley said...

Kami,

Yes, I am a painter (or at least, I'm working on it!). You can find my blog at christopherohandley.blogspot.com. I agree, this time of year (and also early spring when the tree buds start to swell and color-up) have wonderful, subtle color harmonies. Summer has it's own charms, especially early mornings with haze/fog and those tumultuous stormy skies. Well, I guess each season is special in its own way!